Category Archives: English

Fixing Yongnuo RF-600TX

A few years ago I bought two Yongnuo RF-602 RX receivers and a Yongnuo RF-600 TX transmitter for my Canon flash units. Recently they started misbehaving. Sometimes the flash didn’t fire, sometimes it fired to late. When using the test button however, the transmitter worked fine. What I noticed was that the green light on the front of the transmitter was flashing more or less continuously (when connected to a camera and the camera was on).

The green light is supposed to light up when the shutter button is half-pressed, and I assume it sends a signal to the receivers to wake up the flash. I also suspect that this behaviour, where the green light is on for no apparent reason, is “jamming” the other signal.

If you have this problem, the easiest way to verify is to block all the pins on the hot shoe except the one in the middle, which is transmitting the trigger signal. I used a thin piece of plastic to test this. This silenced the false signal and allowed the real trigger signal to function.
Image by OzAdr1an on Flickr

The more permanent solution is to open up the RF-600TX and remove the wiring to the offending pin. The unit has 3 wires. One for the trigger signal, in my case the wire in the middle, one wire for the base of the hot shoe, let us call it ground, and a third wire going to one of the other pins. This will vary depending if you have the Canon or the Nikon model.

Figure out which wire goes to the center pin, and which goes to the ground. Cut the third wire. Or take a soldering iron and gently remove it, in case you want to reattach it. That is what I did. To figure out what’s what I used a multimeter.

By the way, this might slow down the sync speed. But in my case it never worked with anything higher then 1/160 anyways…

Update: I just thought about this. To wake up the flash unit(s) you can half-press the test button instead of the shutter button. Or just force the flash units from going into sleep mode.

The image in this blog post is from OzAdr1an on Flickr and has been modified.

Disassemble DOS/4GW

A few months ago I started tinkering with an old DOS-based game trying to figure out its internal data structure. Progress was good in the beginning, and I was quickly able to alter the saved game to give myself some advantages.

Long story short, after a while I needed to figure out how the game handled a particular part of the savegame, since I couldn’t figure it out using a hex editor. But since the game was using a DOS extender, also known as DOS/4GW, loading it directly into Ida Pro Free wouldn’t help. It only gave meaningless garbage in return.

The solution

I found the open source DOS extender DOS/32. This has a utility known as SUNSYS Bind Utility which can be used to “Unbind and discard existing Extender/Stub from LE/LX/LC executable” as it says in the documentation.

Place the utility, along with the executable in question, in the same directory and fire up Dosbox (or the real thing) and enter the following command.

SB /U filename.exe

This will produce a unbinded file which can be loaded directly into Ida Pro Free. In my case I ended up with a file ending in .LE, which stands for “Linear Executable”.

Hopefully this can help others who want to peak into old DOS games.


Because sometimes shit happens…

Sunday 22th of September the disk in my server failed, and years and years of unique data dissapared with it. Projects, websites, bits and bytes. All gone. The only piece I did have backup of was the databases from MySQL, and those were 6 weeks old at the time.

Thanks to my (irregular) backup of the SQL databases, this blog is now back online. I have re-uploaded some of the blog images from other sources, and over time I hope to reconstruct (most) of the rest.

Conclusion: Shit happens. Be prepared.

Update: Found backup of the home directories and web directory from june 2010. Only 3 years of files missing. Oh, and the subversion repository.

Update 2: All visible images on this blog have been replaced. Yay!